Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Our Daughters Now

For Unique Bishop

Our daughters are killing each other
With guns with knives with sex with cars
These are our little girls

Los Angeles
Street gangs
Words

Who were you remembering
Who told you to do this
The whys are irrelevant right now
Who was right is irrelevant right now

A mother is gasping for breath right now
Goddess help her breathe
Please give her breath

You struck down her daughter
Our daughter
With you car
Struck down
Four months pregnant
Now she is dead
Her baby is dead
Our baby is dead

I cannot write this poem
I need this to mean something
But what good is it if it does

So what about what you were fighting about
What are you fighting for now
I am sorry for you
And you dont need my pity
What good is my sorry

And you are my daughter
Behind bars
Bad food
Prison guards
Solitary
Rats

You are my daughter
Lessons to be learned
Prayers to give
Forgiveness to ask for

You are still my daughter
Her daughter
Their daughter

I may never see you face to face
Never hold your head in my lap
Never feed you soup or love you like you
Think you need

I am here
Lifting you
To Spirit
To Goddess
The One Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment