Sunday, August 9, 2009

Notes from DFR pt 2


Saturday, August 01, 2009

At Museum yesterday

"What shall I tell my children who are black? I must find the truth of heritage for myself and pass it on to them. In years to come, I believe because I have armed them with the truth, my children and their children’s children will venerate me. For it is the truth that will make us free!"

Margaret Burroughs
Founder of the DuSable Museum of African American History

Yesterday we went to the Museum. A black museum. I was most impressed with the Harold Washington exhibit. He was a black mayor. He died in 1987. After the Museum we ate at the buffet at the Sears towers. The 95th floor. Then we went on a boat tour which featured the history of the architecture of some of Chicago's great buildings. After the tour we went to Genevieve and Steve's house and ate, danced, talked about Jackie and Jimmy and their anniversary coming up. We ate some more, then my mother and Ursula had a Color Purple off in the kitchen. A Color Purple off was seeing who could recite and act out the most lines from the movie The Color Purple. My mother won.

This morning I woke up at about 7:30 and went for a walk for two hours. I walked around the neighborhood of the hotel. When I got back we, my mother, Uraeus and I went downstairs for breakfast. We joined Angela, Therman, Preston and Perrin. Now Jimmy and John have come down and we are waiting for Gen or Steve to come and pick us up from the hotel. The women are going shopping, though I do not want to go shopping and the men are staying at the house. That’s more of what I want to do. Maybe I'll change my mind later.

No comments:

Post a Comment