Saturday, January 28, 2012

Er Drama

1/28/12 at Kaiser hospital Baldwin Park
3:53pm
My mom is so ready to get out of this hospital. The food service representative came in to get her lunch and breakfast order. Yes breakfast as in tomorrow morning eating. As in they are planning on her being here tomorrow. 

She fainted yesterday and was brought to another hospital around two. I arrived an hour later. We stayed in that hospital until midnight and then she was moved to a hospital in Baldwin Park. She was brought by ambulance and I drove my car.  When I got here I saw like six or seven people outside the er entrance and it looked liked they were fighting. The mother and one of the men motioned for me to come inside the hospital I guess to get away from the main guy arguing. I found out quickly after I was inside that the fighting guy was "crazy" and was trying to start a fight with the fourteen year old son and nephew of the family involved. The guy just started picking on him for seemingly no reason. 

So here's where it gets really really weird and all Law and Order like. One of the guys in the family yelled "Oh shit!" Black and brown people know what a certain oh shit means before the rest of the sentence comes out. "Oh shit he gotta gun!" Yes crazy guy went to his car and and pulled out a gun out of his trunk. Some folks in the waiting room ran to other open rooms near and just outside the waiting room. I was one of those people. We had the same thought in mind, that he was gon come in the waiting room and start blastin'. 

So now I'm all tucked in a corner near the elevator thanking God that my cell phone worked. I was whispering to my sister praying I wouldn't get cut off. "This is crazy!" among other things. For a few seconds we braced ourselves for the bang bang. Nothing. Soon a nurse or security guard or someone came out of the waiting room and called as quietly as he could for us to come in the waiting room. When we got in the waiting room someone had called the police. Now here's where it gets even weirder if that's possible. The cops never showed up. Folks were passing around the phone and people were saying what they remembered about crazy. And yeah I know it's messed up to keep calling him crazy guy, but whatever. Someone remembered that he had a hospital band on and by his description one of the nurses or receptionists or whatever remembered his name and that he had just been released that day.

When I finally got back to see my mom I didn't want to tell her about all the drama up front. Hours later, after she was more settled, I told her. "0h," she said. "I heard the security guys saying something about that, but I thought they were talking about something that happened a while ago. Not tonight! Man, only you! I never get to see excitement like that."

Uh, yeah, um. No. 

No comments:

Post a Comment