Monday, February 13, 2012

Dear Nelson George

My name is Jaha Zainabu and this evening I saw your film at the Pan African Film Festival in Los Angeles. Brooklyn Boheme. It was by accident that I saw it actually, if there are accidents. You know. I was in the area and decided to see whatever movie was about to start when I got to the theatre. I made up my mind to see another movie when I saw a friend in line who said she was going to see yours. Perfect for me especially since seeing your film would have me only have to wait five minutes instead of the thirty I would have had to wait for the other. So that's the how of how I got into Brooklyn Boheme. Great title by the way.

I'll mention here that I am also a writer. Mostly poetry but I also write fiction and creative non fiction essays. I am a photographer, a painter. I am a storyteller. I think you can see where I am going with this. I think you see why it was perfect for me to "happen" to see your film. Thank you, brother. Thank you for telling your story and the story of your neighborhood. I am a huge pusher of folks getting their stories out. I felt your love for the arts, for Frote Greene, for the artists, for the time. I felt it. I connected with it. I am from California and have traveled throughout this country but find myself coming back to my hood, Los Angeles. I love bumping into brother and sister poets, artists, singers, dancers, storytellers, folks. Folks folks.

On the off off chance you stumble on this letter I just wanted to say thank you for showing the awesome synergy of artists. Thank you for giving us your Forte Greene. Thank you for reminding me of the days I couldn't/didn't want to sleep and so threw on a sweater and kicks and went down to 5th St. Dicks in Leimert Park to hear the best jazz I ever heard and watch the brothas play speed chess on the sidewalk. Thank you for reminding me of those days when on that same block the hip hop heads free styled and beat boxed, when we bought insence because it was for sale at 4am.

Thank you for the conversations with folks I love watching on any screen, Spike Lee, Saul Williams, Rosie Perez, Chris Rock and all of the others. This letter is just to say thumbs up. Thumbs up. Jaha

No comments:

Post a Comment