Monday, February 13, 2012

I am

I will be for love today
Not against a blessed thing
Living just one life
Through many incarnations
Sanctified souls who hold my head
Will not ever allow my to forget
The lessons of my past
When I don't remember
And am pulled into the drama of my bygone
The great grandmother of my angel
A crackled blackblue spirit
Gently sticks me with her crown
And I scream ouch
Don't poke me like that

I will lay my blues to rest today
Swear never pick them up again
Except to remind tomorrow
The hours that I fell
How I got this scar
Why some
Say all the right words
Graduate from all the right schools
But only get so far

From today
Not the contents of my wallet or weight
Not my relationship status or work
My circumstances shall not decide my worth
I am flawless
Gaining understanding new on my
Journey at every turn

I began in the mind of God
Who is Himself beginingless
I too am without a start

Angels up in heaven
Stars in the sky know it's true
If you don't too
Then you are in the few
I am all right with me
With freckles, thick thighs, bald head and big feet
And the grown woman way my breasts hang
And booty pokes a little

I am wonderful
More than woman
More than nappy and painter
Than black and mother
I am more than water and daughter
Not just chest and blood and bones and flesh
I am that I am
As all of you are me too
And I am you

So what is it to be Christian or Catholic
Or Jewish or Muslim
Science of Mind or Bahai

It doesn't even matter that some do not recognize
The awesome outstanding of the Most High
My religion is Truth
Don't ask me what I am
It should only be important to you
That I exist at all

So I ask
If all the things around you
Should quickly fade away
Who would you believe in
What would you stand for

As for me
I am the house of the Most High
Forever will be my own best friend
They are not relevant to my right now
Will not take up matter in my head
I will wake each morning with my mind
Stayed on God instead

They are cowards
Always nameless
Always faceless
I am immortal
Unafraid of my humanity
Being made more perfect every day
Through my imperfectioons

I am the funny of my father
The hustle of my mother
Humble of my sister
Intuition of my son

I am the shake in the belly laugh of my grandmother
A round brown skinned woman
Who magiced jelly from her apple tree
Fed her family
Absent the easy of McDonalds
Lived through happy and heartbreak
Medicated herself with the balm of
Song and scripture and
Gossip and candy
Now sits by my side every night as I sleep

I am the salt rock in ice cream every
Sunday afternoon
Sunny day or no
I am always
I am consistently enough
And more

No comments:

Post a Comment