Tuesday, February 21, 2012

To Whitney

Dear Whitney Houston

I waited before writing to you. Waited for the surprise to dissipate. For my mouth to close and to believe again. But it's true. Your body has been laid to rest. I do hope your spirit is now free. 

You have heard enough by now, I'm sure, about how we miss and love you. And we do. I was amazed by you. There is a way human beings sound and you were outside of that...that...that mortal sound we have. Your voice was water. Clear, cleansing. We wanted you to be that way forever. We are that way, you know. Wanting you to fit into the box we put you in. We didn't want you to make your mistakes because then where would that leave us? Without the clear and cleansing you provided. You said that you would always love us and we took it personal. We needed to. 
I celebrate you, Whitney. I celebrate that that was human and not human about you. I am thankful for the air that came in and went out of your lungs. Thank you, Whitney for sharing your sound and beauty with the world. 

I saw you before the whole wide world did. I will always have that. I went to see your mother in concert and she brought out her baby to sing a song. You were not a baby. You were maybe nineteen or twenty then. But you know how mothers are. I knew then, Whitney. I knew that I would see you shine. 

You rest now. You did what you came to do. Thank you dear sister. Thank you plenty.

Jaha

No comments:

Post a Comment