Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The day after the execution

I.
I am watching the news on ABC right now
Wondering if they are going to say something about the execution
Of Troy Anthony Davis in Georgia yesterday

Dear Georgia
You are awful

I just tuned in about six minutes ago but so far
Nothing
Perhaps there was big report before I tuned in
Perhaps but probably not
Sad about that

Though I'm trying not to use the word sad today

They must have shown it because now they are featuring some Hawaiian band
And really if they talk about Mr. Davis after that
Then damn

II.
My heart is heavy with this
I am sad for all of us
Sad for those who rejoice in this man's death
In any man's death

Justice should look different from this
Justice should be sure
If it will not be fair
As its name suggests
It should at least be sure

I ache for you
Who felt like this is someone else's problem
I am sorry for those of you who feel like the battle is over

III.
I am not ready to write this poem
This sad story
About us
And Georgia
And death
This is about all of us

Whether we see ourselves in him or not
Whether we believe in the system or not
Whether he was a good or bad

Troy Anthony Davis
Troy Anthony Davis
No matter how many times you say his name
His body is dead

It is hard to believe in a system like this
Killing a man under the law
Lack of evidence
And truth
And trust

Color lines and class lines
And lines I can't see
You wouldn't do this to your own
You wouldn't
Not like this
Not like this

Not without absolute
Not without knowing

No comments:

Post a Comment