Monday, June 25, 2012

Talking myself out of hiding

Bassey Ikpi created a foundation called The Siwe Project dedicated to a fifteen year old friend of hers who "lost her battle with depression." I wish there was a better way of saying that. I wish it never happened to anyone. I wish people were more sensitive to it. I wish I wish I wish. Check out the project at www.thesiweproject.org.

Anyway, Bassey is calling July 2, 2012 The Siwe Project's "No Shame Day" and is calling for stories from people with mental illnesses. The format is easy enough, just include these things: 1. Begin and end the story with my name is ..... and I have no shame. 2. Who you are. 3. What mental illness you or a loved one have/has. 4. How you were diagnosed. 5. What prompted you to seek treatment. 6. What prompted you to speak publicly. 7. How you are being treated.

These are issues I have talked about many many times on this blog but for some reason I am hesitant to submit my story. I don't know why because being vocal about it is something I am very passionate about. It is incredibly important to me to encourage people to get the help they need. Especially with all the side eyeing folks give when people mention they need mental help.

I was in a writing workshop this past weekend and Mahogany Browne told me that I submitted my stories in my own blog because it was safe for me and that I needed to come out of my comfort zone. She is close enough to me to speak to me that way and have me listen. I was confronted by her statement probably because it is true. I do feel safe here, especially with sensitive issues. So, I've told this story a million times here and will share it there on July 2 for the projects first annual No Shame Day. I am not working outside of the house today and it will not take much time to just do it. Write the story, Jaha.

I have to push myself into things quite often and this is one of those easy soft pushes. I'll submit it here and let you read it. As if you don't already know.

Love yall. I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment