Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A poem a day for 2013 - day 2 - A poem for Yande

I knew for sure when my face fit
Sleepy and twisted
Between your shoulders
Like wings

I wake with arm cross my belly
Knee on your knee
Foot tangled under your thigh
Covers are causality
To our twister of a night

Now that's sleeping
That's home

You rise like rooster at your alarm
Moon steady in her place
Holding back the day
Too soon for my artistic way
I'm more 8:00 or 10

I watch you in the dark
You ready yourself for work
Like robot you left sock, right
Pants left leg, right
Maybe it was those navy years
Or Mississippi mama
You are the very everyday my wild has longed
Leave each morning with the same "See you later, baby" song
Key locks front door
I listen as you left foot right
Down the steps
Away from me
Your tune every day
Rings like Anita Baker over my skin
Like Angel
This rhythm never gets old

I am a short walk away
From Starbucks and vanilla chai
Banana bread and journal
Pray safety on you
Pray your return and
My face again in the nook of your neck and back
These covers
Those clothes and dishes
This rug
That table
All the books and plants
The art, the paint, photos
All of the stuff
And us
Our left foot right foot song we sing
Every day


No comments:

Post a Comment