Saturday, April 20, 2013

A poem a day for 2013 - day 110 - Like this...Woomaaannnn

I do not like being called girl
All this growing I did
All this deep and long and wide
I been through
All this heavy I keep praying off my back every day

Woman
Woman
That so scary a word to say
Woman

You get it right if you try

See how you have to tilt your head up
To see my whole self
Feel my stomach right here
Where a boy
Now big as you
Used to kick and stretch his arms all out

Put your foot next to mine
See all this earth I cover
One single step at a time

Girl
Girl
Girl sound like fingers pointing
Girl sound like back seat
Girl sound like wait to speak
When you talkin' to somebody
Grown up as me

I been girl already
Shutting up
Keeping secrets
With my polite little self
With my pink dresses
And lacy fold down socks

Even girl is more than this
Girl
Girl

It roll off simple from your teeth
Woman
Woman

See how easy it is to
Free




No comments:

Post a Comment