Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A poem a day for 2013 - day 134 - For Marissa Alexander

For Marissa Alexander
Who fired a warning shot in the air
To keep her abusive husband from abusing her
Again
Again again
And while no one was hurt
(We were all hurt)
She was she was sentenced to twenty years

I dare you to say twenty years with a straight face

I wish I were a better poet
And I could paint this picture
With words I have never used before
I am not
I am the same poet
Who has cried this dispicable cry before
Who is wondering again
Why being black and woman
Is to be silenced and discarded
Silenced and discarded are my poet words
I am just worn and cried out
I am losing the little hope I had

Poets are supposed to inspire
I was told

I am Marissa Alexander
And so are you
We are being captured again
In plain sight
Chained again
Sold again

Tired as these lungs are
I will not not scream her name
My name
Your name too

I only have questions left
About her children
About the message to the world
To boys
To girls
Our girls
About protecting ourselves
About the price we pay
For standing our ground

No comments:

Post a Comment