Saturday, February 1, 2014

Sonnets for February

I'm still writing a poem a day. Last year I wrote three hundred sixty-five plus free verse poems; and so this year I am working on form poetry. I began with haikus for January and for February I am writing sonnets. I am so thankful that others are on this journey too. Good company counts! Today I wrote my first sonnet. Sonnets ain't a joke. More work for me than haikus. The most common form of haikus is three lines with five syllables in the first line, seven syllables in the second and five in the last. The most common form for sonnets is fourteen lines written in iambic pentameter. Ten syllables on each line and rhyming scheme as follows:
A
B
A
B

C
D
C
D

E
F
E
F

G
G

I posted my sonnet this morning. The first one I ever wrote. Already I know I am going to have to make myself a priority because I am going to have to write it before I leave home or get involved in other activities. So, I honor myself today, for committing to a month of sonnets.

No comments:

Post a Comment