Sunday, February 15, 2015

A poem a day for 2015 - day 46 - Inglewood

Inglewood
212 Metro bus
Forum
Lakers
Vibrations
Blue sky
Gangs
Klan
Hair
Lashes
Sandals

I saw Whitney Houston at the Forum
With Winston and his parents
Whatever happened to Winston

Writing workshops
Red Stories
Soup
Socks has love soup
Incense and wine
Love
Friends
Birthdays
Music
Big Arch
Rapping and jazz
Books and food
Paint

What I remember
Favorite things I recall
This town
This brake you shake you town

Beauty
Manchester
I used to walk down Manchester to the Forum
When I lived on 87th
87th
87th Street was a lifetime ago
I was with him and then him
I miss him
I never want to see him again
These are a few of my favorite things

Three
Three
Three is my favorite number
Favorite should have more syllables than three

Inglewood
Inglehood
Brothas up to some kinda good
Sistas wanting some kinda love

James held my hand on the bus stop
We were strangers
He wouldn't let me go
He thought we should go out
Because both of our names begin with J
It was awkward
Inglewood is awkward
In ways I would have
Any other ways
And in some ways I would

Ghetto bird flying
Cop cars racing
Even this evening
Three cop cars passed me
On my way here tonight
Inglewood
Inglewood
Inglewood should have more syllables
As much drama it has to offer

The Holiness or Hell church cross from the park
Jack in the Box and bakery and Wingstop nearby
Inglewood

These are my people
My boys walking to school
My girls toting backpacks
These are my people
The ambulance going by now
For my people
They are all my people

You're my people too
Yes you're my people too
Brown people and black
White folks and red
Inglewood
Inglewood
Theatres and Fatburgers
And love
All this love
All around
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment