Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A poem a day for 2013- day 100 - Dear Uraeus

I don't care if you do
Not graduate from high school with
Straight a's or if you become
The president of the black student union in college
I care but then I don't
I care that you become a good person
That you open doors for
Women and children
And men who will follow you
I care that when you pick up a pen to
Write words will come to you
Out of you fall from you
I care that you will be able to
Communicate with other human beings
And still find it necessary to hug the trees
I care that you remember our stories
Our walks and talks
Even when I was fussing
Even when I was cussing
I care that you wash dishes
And keep your home clean
Because you know how I feel about clean homes
And clean socks
I care that you know how to pray
That you keep prayer in your clean home
And clean dishes
A prayer that you wrote with your own fingers
A prayer that you wrote with your own clean fingers
That you remembered to wash in your clean sink
Because you remembered our stories
I care and love that you never call your
Father's wife step
Because there are no fractions and furniture
In our family only wholes
Only wholes we keep filling
With communication and understanding
And love
I care that you love
Because what you gonna do without love
Nothing that's what
I care that you remember that
I care that social media does not kill your long to travel
To get away
I care that you call me from time to time
And tell me about your day
I care that you know how proud I am of you
I don't care that you pull away when I kiss you
I care that you always let me reach you
I care that you be a confidant to your sister
I care that even though you have grown
Taller than your father
That you look up to him
I care that you know that so many black boys
Did not get to grow up with their fathers
I care that you look folks in the eyes when you speak
When they speak
I care that you fall in love
That you rise in love
I care about love
I care a whole hole lot about love
I care about holes
I care about holes being filled with love and water
I care that you drink plenty of water
Because who has time to be sitting in a hospital
Room because of dehydration
I care that you have much better things to do
Than that
I care that you take walks
Long walks
I care that you know your block
I care that you keep your love of history
I care that you love protecting the little guy
I care that you know that there are no little guys
That you know that nobody is nobody
I care that you care, Uraeus
I care that you read
That you share
That you are kind
That you are a loving man
So free and beautiful
I care about all this
Not what grade you got in geometry
Although geometry is important too

No comments:

Post a Comment