Thursday, January 1, 2015

A poem a day for 2015 - day 1 - For Leelah Alcorn

Leelah
Leelah
For the way your name
Gives my mouth permission to smile and sing
Leelah
I will call you a girl
A she
Her
I will sew a dress in your honor

I am sorry
You had no place you felt comfortable
Falling your shoulders
Humming your butterfly of a name
Fingering your path through this sand of a world

What an ending
To the beginning of your life
Your life
Yours
I will listen
As tribute to you
I will care
I will cry
I will fling these useless tears to sky

I will why for you
I will how come in your stead
I will pull hair and hold heart for you

For you and the next boy or girl
Who feels trapped in this
Box of an earth
Judgments too rigid
Rules too tightroped to tipy toe

Leelah
Sweet Leelah
Rest
Rest Leelah
Fly

No comments:

Post a Comment