Thursday, January 27, 2011

Self talk

We spend so much time trying to teach our children to be kind to others, but somewhere along the line we neglected ourselves. Really, let's take some time today not to fix anything, but to listen. Listen to the mean chatter that goes on inside of our heads about ourselves. Honestly, if our friends said half of the things to us that we say about ourselves, we wouldn't have them as friends.

So what do we do? Well, as for me, I pray. A lot. I know that there is no place I can be that God is not. There is no utterance of my heart He can't hear. When I don't feel strong enough to be kind to myself, He is kind to me. God is so good to me. So good.

For every way I criticize myself, God is there to comfort and correct me. My God shows up for me as everything I need. Father, Mother, friend, counselor, teacher. When I turn left and should have turned right, I can hear God's voice inside of me as Spirit say lovingly, "No dear, turn the other way."

My own self talk is a different story sometimes. "You are so stupid. Right! Right! Can't you remember to turn right?!" That's not God. Not my father.

Today, listen to God's voice. The voice that loves you. Let us learn from God how to speak to ourselves.

Happy Friday everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment