Writing is rewriting. I go through many drafts of a project before I call it done. I rarely actually call something done. Sometimes I come back to a poem or story or some writing years later and change it. Update it. Paint it another fresher color. Here are some questions I ask myself while reading my work:
1. What can the reader smell, see, hear, taste, feel?
2. In one sentence, what is this about?
3. Who am I talking to?
4. Is the reader invited into my personal space?
5. Am I apologizing for my work?
6. Do I know what I'm talking about?