Monday, June 25, 2012

Very rough draft of my submission for "No shame day"

My name is Jaha Zainabu and I have no shame. In March of this year I was diagnosed with bipolar 2. For years I had been dealing with mental ups and downs in an extreme that I knew wasn't "normal". It wasn't until I started having severe depression episodes and uncontrollable ups that I knew I needed to seek professional help. On the day I saw my therapist I sat on her couch and I was so off. It was her first time meeting me and even she could see it.

I told her details of my depressive thoughts and she called a friend of mine who worked nearby to take me to the hospital that day. I am so thankful to her for that. I was later checked into the hospital and treated for a week. I have tried different methods of treatment but I have found medication to work best for me right now.

I spek publicly about the disease because I want others who may be experiencing it to know that they aren't alone. Of course I'm not a doctor but I do know my experiences. It saddens me to hear messages from the pulpit, from parents and others with positions of influence and authority putting down getting mental help. Somehow if I break my leg or need help with my blood pressure then it's encouraged that I go see a doctor, but if I need help dealing with a mental issue then I should only pray it away or not claim it. Anything but see a doctor about it.

Well, I do believe in the power of prayer and that's what gave me the strength to go and get help. So many of us are living with bipolar and bipolar 2 disorders, post tramatic stress disorder and other mental illnesses and need help but are afraid to reach out. I speak publicly for myself and for them.

My name is Jaha Zainabu and I have no shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment