Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A poem a day for 2013 - day 79 - See

There is this mole that showed up on my eyelid like three years ago
I have never made peace with it
It is always there in the morning in my mirror
Fisting at me like I am the interruption
But this was my face first I keep stomping
I have pulled and pinched and punched
But this mole is here
To stay on my face
Until I look in the mirror
And welcome the addition
Like another freckle
A beauty mark
Angle kiss
Whatever
This is like life
Like lovers and storms
That messy my years
That I hate
And live in all that hate
Until I find myself easily lifting more weight
And I know
That every ball of hail has only made me giant
And I look in the mirror
At every gray strand of hair
The coal under my eyes
A bitty mole on my face
Has only made me more beautiful

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday, I was staring at the moles on my arms that have been there forever... one on the bicep of my left arm, one of the forearm of my right. I don't know when they were never not there and I started to write about them. What could I possibly say about them now that you've written this poem? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete