Monday, May 13, 2013

A poem a day for 2013 - day 133 - Dear Mom

Did you worry about me
Like I worry about Uraeus
Isn't worry supposed to be
Bad and wrong
And beneath us women
Us strong and prayerful and God loving women
I find myself ever wishing his happiness
Like he can always be happy
I wasn't always happy
Who is always happy
I keep praying he always makes the right decisions
Always
Where did I get this always
I never alwaysed anything
He is fifteen
Fifteen
Say it with me
Fifteen
I hold those syllables in my mouth like fresh gum
I can still taste the mint of his laughter and first steps
Fifteen
All those years gone by like blink
All these years ahead
Please God
Please all these years
Please all these good years ahead
I am so proud of him
I cannot lift him high above my head
And toss him to the sky
But I lift him
Every time my heart beats
He is there in it wrapped up in my prayers for him
My kisses for him
My arms letting go of him
My mouth closing for him
To follow his
Way

No comments:

Post a Comment