Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A poem a day for 2013 - day 135 - The journey this far. For Valerie Bridgeman.

I made a commitment to myself
To write a poem a day for this year
This year
There are three hundred sixty-five days in a year
Every year
This one too
I thought what I would get out of this journey
Would be three hundred sixty-five new poems
To play with
To pull from
Rework and publish
I did not know all of this
Valerie, is it the same for you
Are there days when you are so full inside
With what is going on in the world
With what is going on in your life
That you just want to hide under
All the knives in your kitchen
And wake up the next day like nothing happened
Is it like that sometimes
To write a poem every day for
Three hundred sixty-five days straight
Is to check in with yourself
And tell yourself the truth
And then report that to the world
The whole world
Because that's what I said I would do
It was January 1 when I started this journey
It is May 15 today
Today is day one hundred thirty-five
Say one hundred thirty-five
Pronounce all of the syllables
The year does not end until December 31
But then you know that
No
I do not like all of the work pouring out of me
I do not like most of it
Some of it
Especially recently
Is even embarrassing
Yes
I wrote that and called it a poem
What this journey is doing for me
Is emptying me of stories I will not tell again
Sad songs I will not sing
One
More
Time
It gives me platform to call out the names of our babies missing
Our women abused
Our men shot down
This hurts every time
But I cannot not
Every time
It gives me opportunity to see when my life is not a match for my words
How can I write this love poem and feel this sadness
How can I write the sadness and be so in love
Seasons have changed since this journey began
I have left my lover
A man I loved and still do
A man I will forever
A man who gifted me with his love
His protection
His arms at night
His thoughts by day
Sad as it is
Journeys end though
They just do
I have wandered through nights
I have found new home
Women have been held captive for years
Hadiya Pendleton is dead
Tonya McDowell is in jail for twelve years for sending her son to a school
Outside her district
Christopher Dorner is dead (we think)
LAPD is alive
My nephew and niece had a birthday
I gave away all of my clothes
Except a few pair of jeans
Some t-shirts and my favorite pair of Chucks
I have a new distaste for too many things
It is courageous of us, I think
To keep writing
Through all of these seasons
And it is insane
But then so are we
Courageous and insane and complicated
I want to quit this project some days
Many days
But I don't
Because tomorrow will come
And I will regret that I quit
I have wanted to give up some days
Literally.
Give
Up
Some
Days
I get swallowed sometimes
By very dark clouds
Then sometimes I can't come down
From all this antsy and fire
That won't stop in my bones
And I am loved by so many
And blessed with so much
So I don't give up
I write through all of it
Because tomorrow will come
And I will regret
That I gave up
Everything
I kee writing
For all those tomorrows
That
Keep
Coming

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it is the same for me. "I have a new distaste for many things..." indeed. I love you for this piece, and more.

    ReplyDelete