Monday, February 3, 2014

Shhh. Untitled.

This morning I woke thinking about the denial of mental illness in the black community. Even the denial of mental illness in my own family. I thought about how quickly I was hushed by an elder in my family when the subject almost came up. And I was only going to mention that something has to be "going on" with Relative for her to snap out like that. That she was doing more than being abusive against Other Relative. I know, I know that there is "No excuse for behaving like that!" But when Relative's father was diagnosed as Illness Unnamed then shouldn't we at least consider it a possibility that Relative is showing some signs to get her some help? Or will we be one more generation to sweep Illness Unnamed under the rug?

No comments:

Post a Comment