Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Red Stories 3

Red Stories 3 was last Saturday. This was my favorite of the Red Stories series. Although I have love each one of the shows, this was my favorite because this time I let go and allowed a team to really help me with the show and it took a lot of pressure off of me.

This month the show featured Deana Verse, Kevin Sandbloom and me. Deana played a huge role inteh show this month. She created the beautiful flyers, the promotional video, advertized via word of mouth, performed at other venues to promote, created the advance ticket sales online and so much more. I so appreciate her for all of the work she did. She also gave an amazing performance at the show.

It was also a blessing to have Kevin Sandbloom on the show again. Kevin was on the show last month also. On Friday night, Deana, Kevin and I performed as a group at Still Waters. It was a great performance. Socks and Food 4 Thot run Still Waters and are also the owners of Vibrations, the spot where the show was on Saturday.

Saturday night was the largest crowd of the all three Red Stories shows. It was beautiful beautiful all the way around. The place was packed. The folks were lovely. There was wine, juice, snacks, laughter, some crying, more laughing and listening. Really, you had to be there. Even though I had a crazy cold the whole night, I still had a lot of fun.

The next day a woman called me and told me that she was at the show and that she had a really good time. She told me that she enjoyed my "personality." She has a radio show and invited me to try out being a host on her show. She offered me to start that day but I couldn't do it. Mostly because I wasn't feeling well and also I would have been late for the show by the time I got there on the bus and train. I gotta get a car. Seriously, next month for sure. Anyway, she was cool with me declining that day and extended the invitation for a date early April. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how Red Stories will grow. Month to month I try to see what progress I have made with each show. This month I have a new cd that I didn't have before and I have what I feel is a better location for the show. Better in terms of my relationship with the owners (Food and Socks are like family to me) and better in terms of the comfort of the audience. The restrooms being closer and food and drinks being more available. I greatly enjoyed being at the theatre and appreciate Ron and Richard for opening up the Lucy Florence space to me. I will say that I may see what I can do at their new performance space on Pico some time in the future. We'll see.

Anyway, I chose to rest all day on Sunday and take care of myself. I was tired of the cold I had. The coughing and conjested chest. I have other things to do this week so I took whatever I needed to take (especially rest) to get rid of it. I feel and sound much much better now and am ready to start promoting for Red Stories 4 featuring Reverdia Trammell (poet, storyteller), Lynette White (singer) and me.

Red Stories is the last Saturday of each month so that will be April 30. The show will be at Vibrations again and already I'm looking forward to it. I hope to see you there. Oh, the address is 2435 Manchester Blvd, Inglewood, CA. Now, I hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment