Thursday, October 18, 2012

This is about us

I just read the most touching and informative document on sexual abuse I have ever read and I am all kinds of triggered right now. Ok, so it wasn't just about sexual abuse. It was also about healing and abusers and community. Specifically, sexual abuse and predatory behavior in the poetry community. As much as I would love to share it with you, it was posted in a private group and for now, that's where it will stay.

I'm triggered because, well I just am, but also because the conversation of sexual abuse comes up so often around me. Sometimes I know I'm supposed to listen and often I know I'm supposed to speak. Yesterday I read an article about sexual abuse in the church and I'm always super touched by those stories. I am so hurt that these children, girls and boys, don't seem to have a place where they can go in the church and be believed and healed and protected. This outrages me! If you're sick of hearing me talk about this then do something about it to end it. Yes, in YOUR church too!

Someone told me a story in confidence so I won't share the details here out of respect. But it was one more story to add to the many stories about a young girl being fondled in the church and then somehow being blamed and responsible for GETTING HERSELF FELT UP BY A DEACON! People come on! There is so much work to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment