Friday, November 2, 2012

NaNoWriMo - Day 2 - part 2. - Dear Mary

It's 5:34pm and I am at Jiffy Lube. I'm getting an oil change for my car. I can't explain it, but it's important for a car. See, this is why I wish I knew more about you. It's hard to tell what you know and what human stuff is just foreign to you. Anyway, I'm going to pick up Uraeus tonight. He lives about three hours north of me with his dad, step mother (I don't like that term step) and little sister. I pull up, he comes out and we head back south. It's a long trip but there's no other human being I love more than him. Sooooo. We have fun on the way home. He likes to read jokes on his phone and share them with me. Uraeus is such a joy to me.  He will be fifteen years old this month. Can you believe that, Mary? I have a fifteen year old son. It seems like just yesterday I brought him home from the hospital. So many memories. 

I talked to Therman today. He is your brother. He's now the oldest of your male siblings. Please tell me you know your brothers and sisters. I think you would have loved your family. Did you have a family, Mary? Who held you and told you stories? Who showed you the ropes in heaven? Did you have to learn to crawl then walk? To speak and fly? What language do you speak? Do you hear me when I pray? So many questions. You would have loved Therman. He's one of the smartest men I know. I know a lot of people. There is never a time I'm sitting with him that I don't learn something. He's a math wiz. All of your brothers are. Perhaps you would have been too. Therman and my mother love my poems and stories about you. I'm not the only one who keeps your memory alive. I know I said I was, but that's not true. 

5:53. If you get your oil changed on Friday at the Jiffy Lube on Pico and LaBrea then it takes a long time. That's just how it is. Human life lessons are always all around if you just look. Right now I'm exercising patience. Writing helps. What did you learn while you were here? You must have learned something. Did you have time to sleep through the night? Did you cry a lot? Did Granddaddy ever hold and kiss you? He would have been Daddy to you, but did he sing to you? Talk baby talk?  Do you remember any of those three days? I don't know why it's all so important to me. It just is. 

Grandmommy and Granddaddy are where you are. So are your brothers Robert (Bubba) and Troy (Poon). Do you know them? Did you recognize the sound of their voices? Do they still have voices? What is language like where you are? Did you see a light? At three days, did you know what a light was? Did a beautiful illuminated black angel come and get you? I watch a lot of television. 

6:12. O my goodness, Mary. This will mean nothing to you but taking care of your car is very important. Not only do I need my oil changed, I have to get my transmission somethinged. I was only expecting to spend like $50. Now it's going to be $160 something. Human beings say that money is not important but it kind of is. You have some really smart brothers but none of them thought about opening up a car repair shop or owning a Jiffy Lube. But I still count my blessings. That's how I keep my sanity, I count my blessings. My sanity has been questioned by some human beings though. I just have to remind myself to breathe. I am thankful that I have the money to get the work done. I don't want to be stranded on the road because I didn't get something fixed. 

6:22. I told you it takes a long time here. If you are in a place where you have to practice patience then it's best if you have your iPad with you. It just is. Counting cars gets old quickly and you probably won't want to watch the stupid show they have on the TV. 

Time is cutting close. I told Uraeus that I would be there at 9:30 and it's 6:31. I told you it was a three hour drive.

6:33. Ok now they're telling me that I also need my power steering blah blahed or it's going to something my pump. The something is a bad thing. That's going to be another $70. I had to tap out there. I'll get that fixed later. See what I mean about money being important? The guy added some fluid and I should be ok for this trip. 

6:39. I'm ready to go. It's a power steering flush that I need. Please remind me of that on Friday when I get paid?

No comments:

Post a Comment