Tuesday, November 27, 2012

NaNoWriMo - Day 27 - Dear Mary

It's 3:00pm and I'm at work right now. I took my client for a walk today and thought about you. I wondered what it would be like to go for a walk with you and enjoy nature together. Wondered if you would have preferred warm sunny days or slight cool days with gray skies. Maybe it wouldn't matter to you at all and you would have just loved being outside no matter the weather.

My client loves to touch the trees and smell the flowers. Isn't that wonderful? I love walking with her and watching her reach out to embrace as much nature as she can. There is lesson and love and God in that. So much God.

Today is my kind of day. Cool, gray, Christmasy. Today as we were walking we came upon an elderly woman who was washing her car window and we stopped to talk with her. She was a gentle, short, Mexican woman who spoke to us in her best English. She told us that she came home from church last week to find her car stolen from right in front of her home. "My son bought me this one and it is ok. But I like my car. My old car. But this one is ok too." We will always have to adjust to change, Mary. We get to choose how to react to it. We get to appreciate what we had and adjust to what takes its place. That's life. It's not good or bad. It just is.

Imagine how your parents (my grandparents) felt feeling you move around inside Grandmommy's belly for nine months and finally giving birth to you, holding and kissing and loving on you for three days and then to have to adjust to you no longer being there. Imagine that. They are strong people, to have to live with that and keep going. I never want to know that kind of loss. Life is something, Mary. Something.

No comments:

Post a Comment