Friday, November 30, 2012

NaNoWriMo - Day 30 - Dear Mary

It's 6:25am and I am at the Los Angeles International Airport. I'm headed to Washington, D.C. to perform at a WomanPreach event. I am so thankful for poetry. I do enjoy traveling and I probably wouldn't be able to afford to travel as much as I do if I weren't traveling for shows. I am thankful that there are people who enjoy my work enough to fly me across the country to perform. God is good. I'll only be gone for the weekend which is good because I have some events I need to be back in L.A. for. I'm happy this morning. Not even because of circumstances, I just am. I am majorly in love with Love. All of our moments together are such blessings to me. Yesterday I read a blogpost by a woman I know online. She said everything I wanted to say and all that I feel. Her name is Carla and I can't quote her exactly right now but what I got from her was basically, in a marriage, the beauty is that you have someone present for you to witness your life. The good, the bad, the mundane. And you get to be that for someone else. What an honor for someone to say with his words and actions, "I will witness you." And to look at him and say and be the same. A witness. Thank you so much for that, Carla. Love wakes up dark time early in the morning to make his lunch and get ready for the day. Sometimes I get up with him to watch him. To look at him dress and pour sala chips in a bag, heat water for his tea, slice banana for his oatmeal, put juice in his bag, breathe, I watch him be. Sometimes we talk. Sometimes I break the silence with an episode of Law and Order. Sometimes we just...are. Yesterday I read him Carla's blogpost. He loved it too. He is my witness and I get to be his. O Mary, you know how I go on.

In other exciting news, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARY! This is the day you were born! This day 75 (or is it 76? I'll have to figure it out) years ago, you came out of Grandmommy's womb and met your family. What an exciting time. I still don't know what I'm going to do for your day. Something private and special in my hotel room I suppose. What will you do today? How do you celebrate yourself? I am your witness, Mary. Your witness that you were here and your witness that you are here now. You are. You are here because I feel you and talk to you and will keep your memory alive, sweet aunt.

I just looked out of the window and noticed that it is very foggy outside. Send me love on this trip. It is amazing how these planes fly in the sky in perfect weather, how they do it in rain and fog is even more incredible.

My plane is boarding now. I will connect with you later. Happy birthday again. Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment