Tuesday, October 22, 2013

I'm saying though

Recently at a gathering of folks who identify religiously as Christian the subject of whether someone was gay came up. As I guessed it would the room was filled with homophobic jokes and slurs. This always bothers me. Am I gay? No. But that's not the point is it? I am an ally. I am a sister human  being. I just don't get why people of any religious background feel like it's ok to bash the gay community in the name of God. If their excuse was that being gay is a sin then I still don't get the point because we were drinking alcohol. Most of us there were overweight. Someone had an ought against her sister. I mean, I could go on. I don't get it. I don't. And if you're reading this and wondering why I keep pointing out the Christian people in my life who hold this kind of hypocrisy, it's because I was reared in a Christian church and have lived my whole life seeing double standards like this and not being able to speak on it. You wanna hear a room filled with hate speech, bring up homosexuality in a room of SOME Christians. I emphasized some to be fair. Because I truly know some amazing people who also identify as Christian and some who identify as Christian and gay whose tongues are not filled with such venom, but with love, with tenderness and space for all humanity. These are my thoughts. My two cents for the day.

1 comment:

  1. ...are worth millions.
    i whole-heartedly second this sentiment.

    ReplyDelete