Tuesday, May 19, 2020

KRS 1

I just watched a video of KRS 1 honoring The Last Poets on their anniversary. Happy anniversary to those great men. I wanted to take this moment to share a memory of KRS 1, who is one of my favorite rappers.
About twenty-five years ago he was speaking at an event in Los Angeles. There were vendors there. Some sold food, clothes, stuff. I was set up way in the back selling my paintings. Back then I was painting mostly masks on wood. KRS 1 walked up to me and asked how much they were. It was more important to me that he have my art than me have his money so I offered him the piece. He handed me a fifty dollar bill then held my painting high above his head and walked around the building with it. That was probably the only money I received that night but it was one of the most memorable nights I've ever had as an artist.
Thank you, KRS 1, for being all of who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment