Thursday, August 29, 2013

Dogs. Past. Tense.

The other day on my walk I walked past an open gate and behind the gate were two pitbulls. For those of you who know me, know that I am greatly afraid of dogs. Almost all dogs. Size really does not matter. I think the fear comes from a moment when I was a child on a night walk with my mother and there was a dog on a porch. He seemed like he was going to stay put until I took off running. I remember my mother calling after me as if I was just going to stop running while a (moster) dog was chasing me. The dog grabbed my sweat pants at the butt part with his teeth. He did not bite me but that his teeth were that close to me was certainly enough to keep me afraid. Anyway, the other day. As I saw that the gate was open I just kept walking. I breathed through each step. I got passed them unscathed.

That moment made me think of other issues in life for which I have held fear. That the fear is of some moment before not the moment of the moment. That I can breathe through those situations and get beyond. That I don't have to be afraid of what I've been afraid of. This is not a new lesson. It just feels good to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment