Friday, February 5, 2010

Me with Scott "Bugs" Allen



Bugs is one of coolest, kindest, peaceful and talented guys I know. The more I have these conversations the more I am thankful for the wonderful and talented folks in my life.

Bugs is also an awesome father and husband and was on his way to pick up his daughter from school and take her to her game during this conversation. Miss Sidney is now nine and a cheerleader.

As usual I asked my favorite question first.

J* When you're chillin' what pops into mind first?

B* My mom. I remember my mom at the piano doing what she did. That was my foundation. Those were my fondest memories. Her playing the piano and singing. Sometimes at church and sometimes at home. Those times were a large part of why I do what I do.

J* When did she pass?

B* 2003.

J* Was that her profession? Playing the piano.

B* Partly. She was an accomplished soprano and played the piano. She also held other jobs, but yeah, she played the piano. Her mother also played piano.

J* Did she sing too?

B* Oh yeah. My grandmother came up with Sarah Vaughn. They hung. She was part of the original chittlin' circuit ang sang in a lot of the black clubs like Apollo.

Back in those days when Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Williams were performing, she travelled with them in that circle. You know who Melba Moore is right?

J* Yeah.

B* Well her parents and my grandparents toured together. In fact, sometimes when they had gigs they would leave the kids at my grandmother's home. Melba and my mom were there together.

J* You're from Baltimore?

B* Yeeeep.

In the 60's Melba and my mother were both cast in the musical Hair, but my mom chose to raise a family.

J* That's such incredible history.

B* Yeah. I have pictures of how dignified they were back then. The way they were dressed and all, even though they couldn't stay in the hotels they were performing in. A lot of them, when they were in town, they would stay at my grandparents house. When they made it big and were still performing and were finally allowed to stay in the hotels, they would still come by and bring gifts thanking my grandmother for letting them stay back then.

I didn't realize the significance of those people. I'd come downstairs and Sarah Vaughn would be singing and my mom playing piano.

J* Did your dad sing too?

B* He did. Not professionally, but he had a great voice. He was a little melanin challenged like myself (we laughed). He sounded like Frank Senatra and they called him Old Brown Eyes (we laughed again). He just passed two years ago.

J* Do you sing?

B* Yeah.

J* I thought so. Why don't you sing much?

B* In Third Senario, Earl is such a great lead and it's not that easy to play bass and sing, so I pretty much do background behind him.

J* How long has Third Senario been together now?

B* Twelve years.

J* Really?

B* Yep. That's longer than some relationships. It's essentially Earl and myself and we hire someone that we like to play with us.

J* Where are yall playing now?

B* Nowhere regular. Wherever we get booked. I miss those Sunday nights when we had a regular night.

J* I miss those Sunday nights too. I loved that place.

B* People still tell me about how much they loved those nights. That place on Pico.

J* The Nile.

B* Yep. The Nile River Cafe. Nobody was makin' money but it was so much fun. Being around all those talented people. Like yourself.

J* Thank you.

B* I catch Deana sometimes on Facebook and we chat it up about how great those times were.

J* Miss you, Bugs.

B* You too.

No comments:

Post a Comment