Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Trees

Leaves are changing colors
Green red orange yellow brown
I stand at my window
Cannot stop staring

Leaves are not this color
In los angeles
Not this color
Not in the jungle
Not on Adams or Crenshaw
Not on Pico or LaBrea

Here right now
They are red orange yellow
Stand in front of my mirror
I am changing colors
I have become a tree
A georgia tree

Spots of gray at my temples
Brown on my teeth
Charcoal under my eyes
Red clay in my toes
Green in my eyes
Truth on my tongue

I have become a tree
Where birds nest
Fly away
Dogs piss
Make their mark
Where God whispers
Angels gather

It's raining now
That's OK
I am a tree
Changing colors
Growing roots
Housing squirrels
It's raining now
That's OK
Sun will shine
I will still be a tree

Taller tree
Closer to the sun
Deeper roots

I am a tree
Shading lovers
Forgiving the fearful

I was not this color in Los Angeles
Not in the jungle
Not on Adams or Pico
Not on Crenshaw or Normandie
Western or Slauson
Not on 43rd
Not on degnan

I am still the same tree
Taller
Older
Deeper
More colorful tree

No comments:

Post a Comment