Monday, April 11, 2011

The weekend

So, Friday it was very hard for me to move. Emotionally it was a challenging day. I get that way sometimes. I don't stay there though. I will allow myself a day, maybe two, but then it has to stop. I got up Saturday morning and went to my niece's soccer game. Well, games really because she actually had three games in one day. What's that about? But I went to all three and had a ball. I cheered, yelled at the kids on the other team (that was fun), was cold, had a ball and spent some good time with my sister and niece. AND got my butt up out of the bed!

Saturday night was Grooveology, the party I shoot (photography) for the second Saturday of every month. I had a great time there too. There were so many people from Long Beach I reconnected with. A classmate of my sisters was having her birthday party there. Also, we shared the night with Chuckie Miller, another promoter who is from Long Beach and General Lee was the other dj for the night. Where Chuckie Miller and General Lee are, there are usually a lot of folks from Long Beach. We had a ball! Which reminds me that my work for the party is not over. Now I need go through and edit all the photos. That's fun too though.

Yesterday (Sunday) was my first day as a member of The Bomb Squad! Sooooo much fun! The Bomb Squad is a radio cast of six funny, intelligent, crazy folks who talk about a wide range of topics on the air for thirty minutes. We taped two shows yesterday. Michelle, the creator of the show, labeled me the mind sex therapist, which is what she calls my poetry, "mind sex" haaaaaaa! So in addition to being crazy with the cast I had my own segment of the show called of course, mind sex.

After I left the station I went, flew as fast as I could really, to Bryant Temple where I performed for their Second Sunday Jazz Vespers. I don't know what a vesper is right now but I like that title. The show was so awesome. God is sure listening to my prayers because I prayed to be a part of shows that I want to see. I would have paid money to see the show last night (if I wasn't in it).

The show started with the minister introducing the evening then talking about The World Stage. I forgot to say that. The World Stage partners with Bryant Temple for this monthly event. Anyway, Michael Datcher was the mc for the night. Jolandra was the first performer. She came from the back doing a beautiful, exciting dance then ended her performance leaving the church. And I think she really did leave because I didn't see her after that. She was great though. After that Jwanzaa and Sheri Randolf performed poetry with the band. Oh, the band was perfect. Trever Ware and company. Jwanzaa and Sheri's performances were so moving. The crowd was up on their feet as they left the stage. Then Michael brought up Hilliard Street to do a solo with his guitar. Hilliard's voice is so clear. It's like water. While he was playing I kept thinking of him singing and playing at some famous art gallery or something. I don't know why, but I did. After Hilliard Michael introduced Conney Williams and me. Conney went first then me, then Conney again then me. The crowd loved it. I did too! Then all of us did one last piece each. Jwanzaa started the round robin and I closed. The crowd had a great time and so did all of the performers. What a blessing! What a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment