Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A poem a day for 2013 - day 196 - For Carlos Vigil. For us. All of us.



"I'm sorry to those who I offended over the years. I'm blind to see that I, as a human being, suck. I'm an individual who is doing an injustice to the world and it's time for me to leave. Please don't ever feel sorry for me, or cry - because I had an opportunity at life and that opportunity is over. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to love someone or have someone love me. I guess it's best though, because now I leave no pain onto anyone. The kids in school are right, I am a loser, a freak and a fag and in no way is that acceptable for people to deal with. I'm sorry for not being a person that would make someone proud. I'm free now. Xoxo. Carlos."

These are the words Carlos Vigil
Seventeen
From Valencia County, New Mexico
Put up on Twitter 
Saturday afternoon
Before he killed himself
He had been being teased since the third grade
How much can a human being take
He was a boy
A flesh and blood boy
He was glass and eggshell 
Fragile as heart
He was feeling as magnet
He was brave as fear
Naked and ready to hope
Teasing is something
Sticks and stones rarely break bones these days
Words hurt all the time
I don't know what good poems are anymore
Maybe someone will read
I dream
And scrape hate from their tongue
Perhaps I will search myself
Of ropes I tied 'round another soul's tomorrow
Who are we
To hate someone so free
Like penny candy 
Ten for a dime
This is how we value life
This is how we care

1 comment:

  1. Day 196 and we are still writing poems, stories, etc. like this... my heart hurts.

    ReplyDelete