Thursday, September 13, 2012

No spanking

I saw a picture on Facebook with a teenager holding up a sign saying that she got a spanking because she posted some inappropriate photos online. Then there are the inevitable stream of comments that follow supporting the fathers actions. Then some guy commented that she was too old for her father to be beating on her. Then of course that guy got beat up on from the other commenters. The comments don't have the decency to be original. "Beat her now so that the police won't have to later." As if... Never mind.

I agree with some of the guy's comment. Yes she is too old for her father to be beating on. But I believe she was always too old for it. I don't believe that spanking is the way. I've talked about that before on this blog so you already know how I feel about that. Spanked children seem to get spanked for the same thing over and over anyway. So if it was supposed to cure the bad behavior, it didn't.

I think it's sad to see all the comments saying that what the father did was right and he should "beat that ass again if she does it again." Our children are confused enough as it is about where to go for support when they are abused. When they read and see how abuse is supported by other adults, relatives, family friends, church mates and others, then it gets even more confusing. No it doesn't, confusing isnt the word, it gets more clear. The message is received clearly, hitting is ok.

Yeah, not a fan. Say what you want. Oh, here's what I didn't say. I hear folks say that spanking is their way of getting the message across but really, if adults did what the child did then the adults would somehow find the words to communicate what needs to be communicated. Right?

Yeah, still not a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment