Friday, March 8, 2013

So yesterday I posted a poem I dedicated to Tanya McDowell, the black woman sentenced to twelve years in jail for sending her son to a school outside her district. I get frustrated reading about things like that and then hearing reactions from only or mostly black women. Still, it was unfair of me to begin my poem with "I'm over good white people." Mostly because making general statements like that have me be the people I complain about. I am ever on a rampage about men who make broad general statements about women, white folks who make general statements about black people. Really, people who make general statements. I know what I mean by the statement, but putting it out there like that has me not be responsible and not own that there are some amazing GOOD people in my life who are also white. This post aside, I'm not taking the poem down.

1 comment:

  1. I started to erase my FB post for the same reason except what I owned later is that, generalities aside, it really was how I felt in that moment. I was over all "good white people," even the ones who are fierce and I'd take to any battle. just weary of them. of my inability to know how to save the world. of being poet. professor. inept. of crying. just over it. in that moment. and missing Love...

    ReplyDelete