Sunday, February 26, 2012

THE NIKEL chapter 27

"Hello." Obrey answered.

"Where you at?"

"Comin' off Market Street picking up some fabric. What's up?" Obrey asked.

"What's up is I'm your best friend and we need to talk. I'm in LaDera. Meet me at Solomon's in twenty minutes."

"Alright."

Obrey pulled up into Solomon's and was surprised to see that Willow was already there. She pulled into the spot next to hers and went inside. "Hey girl. Look, before you read me the riot act I know I was trippin' and I'm sorry."

"Obrey, you're not gon' play me like you do Amad with the smoke and mirrors."

"What are you talkin' about?"

"And you're not gon' manipulate this conversation with that confused routine that you've mastered. I'm done playin' Obrey's game of start a fight about one thing when something way more serious is going on that she doesn't want to talk about." Willow was getting too close and Obrey knew she couldn't hide much longer.

"Oh, here's the salad and herbal tea I ordered for you. You want some diapers to go with that?"

"Fuck you, Willow."

"You the only one been gettin' some obviously. Did you think you could fool me? I know you. It's true, isn't it?"

Obrey just looked at her.

"I knew it. The biggest part of me is so happy for you. Then there's that other part that wants to kick your ass for dealing with all the stress you're dealing with and not sharing the biggest news of your life with me. And now for the twenty million dollar question. Whose is it?"

Again, Obrey just looked at her.

"Does he know?"

"I'm gonna tell him...soon."

They finished eating, got into their cars and drove separate ways. Obrey rolled her window down and blew the horn to get her attention. "You know I love you?"

"Of course you do." Willow put her shades on, blew her a kiss and drove off.

"Damn diva."

That night after Jewel had gone to bed, Davis and Obrey were in the den watching television. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. Before today I hadn't said anything to Willow either. I know it's crazy, the two people I'm closest to I've been avoiding because I was scared. To tell you the truth, I still am."

"I know I don't have to say it but I will. You know I'm here for you."

Before the television show resumed, there was an announcement from the news. The reporter said, "This afternoon the police arrested a man by the name of Amad Jenkins for setting up a fictitous charity and allegedly receiving over three hundred thousand dollars. The name of the charity was The Marissa Cunningham Home For Austic Children Foundation. He was arrested inside of this Bank of America in Los Angeles. Please stand by for more details."

No comments:

Post a Comment