Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Facebook conversation - Trayvon Martin

Kris T. Heywood: A couple of discrepancies--Zimmerman's​ not white, he's hispanic. And I thought Trayvon actually lived in that gated community with his family.

Jaha Zainabu: Kris, I read that he is white and Hispanic and that Trayvon was visiting his fathers fiancee. But whether Zimmerman was green and Trayvon lived on the sidewalk in front of the liquor store, our black boys keep getting shot and killed. Small details change but what is consistent is our children, our legacy carriers, keep getting killed and nothing happens.

Kris T. Heywood: Thanks for correcting me. I do think details are important, or else you wind up playing a print version of "Post Office." I'm glad to see this ground swell of outrage, and my heart aches for Trayvon's family.

Jaha Zainabu: My heart is aching as well, sister. My response was not a correction but a note on what I read. I wanted to show how flip floppy the details are in various reportings. We are hurting so much right now. All around. In addition to our boys, black mothers black fathers are in God help us pain right now as we kiss and hug our boys and send them to school, we just don't know.

Kris T. Heywood: Trayvon is not only a victim but he has become a martyr. His death shows us how much farther we as Americans have to go before we realize we are all human beings with the same inalienable rights--as well as demonstrating once again that guns are passed out too easily. How much different this outcome would have been if Zimmerman had not had access to a deadly weapon.

Jaha Zainabu: And we don't need another martyr. We have had our fill. And how much different if Tryavon were white. Your "we" in we as Americans have not even accepted that we are Americans. Or human really. We have work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment