Thursday, January 10, 2013

A poem a day for 2013 - day 10 - Good morning

It came in the quiet
In the middle of my still
This is my power
The knowing in my ears
My feet that remember
My yesterday was never for nothing

Eyes 
These eyes mine
See me different than before
This neck hold up
Head so river and rock
Nose touch moon
My chin so high
Arms so spread
This a new day

This stomach so pillow
I wanna rest my own face
Cross my belly
I deserve a nap
All the running I done
These breast like stars
Know everything going on
Over both my shoulders
So smooth and brown and pretty
From all them teardrops from before
Melt in my skin
You wish you was me

It came to me just like that
No woman could walk my road but me
No man would even try
I kicked myself so hard back then
For every crooked line
Every sidewalk crack
Every leaf fall out of my control
I ain't the bad guy
I swallowed so much dirt
My own and other folks dirt too
Kept secrets and told lies
Life happen to me too 
I ain't no angel

This new glass
Show everything I am
All of my beautiful
Even my ugly
So soft and furry 
Like a little puppy
Flaws got so much growing to do
All of this is me
Everything I didn't like
And everything I love

These are not 
Stanzas for you to understand
Just words for me to say

These chocolate words
With sage and strawberry
Vanilla and tomorrow

I am my new favorite song
The best ocean I know to swim
Don't look at me like that
Just love me like I am

No comments:

Post a Comment