Saturday, January 5, 2013

A poem a day for 2013 - day 5 - Present

The commitment to write a poem
Every day for a year
Is a commitment to sanity
To not go crazy and check out
For a day or three
A promise to self and to world
No matter the weary
The worry the work
Never mind the words that won't come
The images the stanzas
The paragraphs that hide
I will show up
I will show myself and
Strangers I ignore on the streets
Letters and sentences
That form the thoughts of my day
My thoughts of you
And him
Them and God
Her and the church
The president and sex
And family and all of the ands
There will be days
I am sure
I will have to be bigger than my
Sleepy
Greater than what I feel like
More than what embarrasses me
I will write and share
That is my word
We will see we will see
My word is easy on the fifth day of January
In Starbucks with chai and bread
When resolutions are still alive
When new years leftovers are still frozen
The commitment to write a poem
Every day for a year
Is a commitment to earth
To relationship
A dare to be alive
Through the whatever
The headaches and lows
The ups and time I need for myself
Myself without you
All of you
The yous who want me to fall and give up
To be taken over and sleep
You are out there
You know who you are
This is a dare to find time
To find a corner of the day the night
To announce to the world
That I am still here


No comments:

Post a Comment