Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A poem a day for 2013 - day 8 - A poem for Catherine

Maybe we got it wrong
What if we are the ones who need help
What help can I give to you
With all those years under your eyes
See better than I can dream

What stories do I have for you
Much as you already know
Remembering what day it is
Aint all it's cracked up to be
So what about mis matched socks
And phrases repeated over and over
Feels good to me
You like my boots
Every time I walk in the room
I get more compliments from you in an hour
Than I get all week from anyone
Outside this room

I have to speak
Well above a whisper
For you to hear what I have to say
So what
We ain't got no secrets anyway

Who else I know walk through
The neighborhood and
Touch every tree
Kiss every flower
Whisper love on each dog walk by

We are the ones who need help
It's not you
You deserve your feet up
And hand to your room
Change your clothes

It cost nothin' out my day
To cook your food
To laugh and walk
To speak a little louder
Over and over

All those stories
You give me for free
What do I know
About 87 years
What do I know about how
Brave you have to be
To forget the moments just before
The courage it must take
To not recall a friend who knows you well
And hold a past so long ago
So close to now

So what you are always colder
Than I am and
Slower than my walk
What a blessing
To be warm with you
Ease my gait for you

My day is coming
If I keep living
When I will want a hand to hold
To be reminded of the hour

I hope to be so brave
To remember to love my pets
Wear my hat
To kiss each flower

Hug every tree


No comments:

Post a Comment