Friday, January 11, 2013

Free write. Unfinished. But then aren't all free writes? Whatever.

2:24pm 
Friday
Starbucks

I should stop drinking vanilla chai
It has become a habit
Usually my order is to go 
Today I stayed

The man at the table across from me
Is arguing on his phone with someone
About the Second Amendment
"For every sob story you tell me 
About a man with a gun
I can tell you about a man who wished 
He had one"
He said

The one time I wanted a stranger's call
To be on speaker

He hung up, then
"Idiot"

And this conversation the day after
I read that a sixteen year old boy 
Shot two students in a school 
Just thirty miles 
From the school my son attends

I hear the voice of Ray Charles 
Singing about 
The woman he got
Way cross town
And she makes him feel all right
Feel all right 
Feel all right
Yeah, baby
Feel all right

The woman behind me is knitting
Maybe a sweater 
For her granddaughter
Her lover
Her bed

I know a man's not supposed to cry
How I wish it would rain
The Temptations could sure tell a story 

Ray Charles
Temptations
B.B.

If I didn't have bad luck 
I wouldn't have no luck at all

1 comment: