Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A poem a day for 2013 - day 350 - Daily. News. Daily. For Dione Payne

I must not allow myself to be swallowed up in the sadness of news
No matter how horrific
No matter that two grown white men raped and beat and killed a sixteen year old black boy
Dropped his unconscious body off at an emergency room
No matter his death shortly after
And his mother's tears
O his mother's tears
Have you ever heard a mother cry and scream for her boy
O his friends
His father
His teachers
His block
I cannot be swallowed up
I cannot not be
My prayers for all of us
My prayers for my own angry self
He had a troubled past they said
The boy
The boy who was raped and beaten and died
A troubled past
They said
Like a troubled past means we deserve to die
To be raped and killed
A troubled past
We live in a world that tells girls not to get raped
We live in a world that tells boys not to get killed
We live in a world that tells us to smile
Do you know how to move on
Tell me about that
That kind of moving on
I am angry and tightfisted and afraid
It is outrageous the attack on our boys
Our girls
Our bodies
Our lives
Soon come though
Soon come
Our big eyes opening every day


No comments:

Post a Comment