Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Black like me

I am a woman in the way
Loud, Black, angry, free and caged
Diagnosed and unmedicated
I have to watch my tone and dress
It is my fault if I am raped
Way this ass shakes
These titties bounce
Everyone knows I am a whore
Everyone knows I am nothing more than a good placeholder
Soon a pretty woman will come along
You can play in her hair
You can see through her skin
You will keep her nice and safe
Everyone knows what a good cook I am
House spotless I keep a house
Keep the children in line too
I stay up late at night
Always available and lucky to get your call
We can talk about racism all night long
Talk about Harriett and Malcolm
Talk about Trayvon and Sandra
Did you see the news today?
You see what they did?
Everyone knows I know all the news
Everyone knows I keep you laughing
Everyone knows I know my place
With my sensitive self
With my always taking things too personal self
With my extra self
My silly acting self
My attention seeking self
Everyone knows how emotional I am
Everyone knows how much attitude I have
Everyone knows Black women don't need as much love
Because we so strong
Because we so built to last
Because we gotta make it
Everyone knows it is best to put the bills in my name
Everyone knows I keep a few jobs
I keep a few extra dollars
I keep a dime in my purse
Everyone knows my money your money too
Everyone
Everyone
Everyone knows I entertain well
Can keep a smile on my face
A song in my throat
A dance between my toes
Everyone knows bruises don't show up on me
Everyone knows how well I take a punch
Everyone
Everyone
Including me

No comments:

Post a Comment