Wednesday, February 15, 2012

THE NIKEL chapter 20

Obrey was checking her email at Amad's dest and didn't know that he was standing behind her. He watched her read the message. Watched her smile halfway and he wished the smile was for him. He used to make her happy. She used to smile for him. Not these days though. These days he got messages suggesting that they talk. "So how much of a friend have you been to Life?"

"What are you doing sneaking up behind me?"

"This is my office."

"It's not like that. I was talking to him at this little party I went to with Willow. He was telling me about some problems he was having with his manager and the record label and stuff like that."

"How come you never mentioned it?"

"What was there really to mention?"

"I don't know Obrey. I don't know what's going on at all with you. This isn't even about your 'friendship' with Life. This is about us. What's up? I thought you wanted your space so I've been giving it to you. Then you leave me a message saying that you love me, but we need to talk. But we never do. I'm tired of waiting for you to open up to me. Obrey, I don't want to hold you back. If you need to move on, then yeah it would be difficult for me, but I could release you if you asked me to. But you gotta ask, baby, 'cause I'm not gon just let you go. But let me know something. Don't just leave me in the dark like this."

"Oh, like you're leaving me in the dark about whatever you got going on with Malik?"

"Listen, yeah, Malik and I are trying to work out a business venture. I know you don't like Malik but you don't have to like him. I'm doing this for us, baby. No, I haven't told you everything but I need more time. But whatever is going on with Malik and me has nothing to do with us. It's not some other woman. It's not that I don't love you. I'm not ready to tell you everything yet. I need some time. I know that's hard to hear but it's the truth. It's as much of the truth as I can give you right now." Amad sat in the chair across from her and moved in to her and held her face in his hands. He kissed her face. "I'm sorry, honey. I do love you though. I love you so much." Obrey cried and got up and hugged him. He unlocked her arms from around his nect and she sat back on the chair and cried harder. Harder than he had ever seen her cry. "What's all this about?" He asked.

She grabbed her bag and ran out of the shop. A few minutes later Danielle came into the office. "What's wrong with Obrey?" She asked. "She ran right past me like she didn't even see me."

"Danielle, I have something I need to take care of. Can you take the deposit to the bank today?"

"Yeah, I can do it. Amad, I asked you a question."

"Obrey's fine. Just crazy is all."

"Crazy make you throw up like that?"

"What?"

"I was dumping the trash in the back and she ran right past me and threw up all over the bags out there. I asked her if I could help and she just sped away from me."

"Aw, man."

No comments:

Post a Comment