Thursday, August 22, 2019

Page (14)

Vida and Charlotte are quiet as they ride in the car. Charlotte is staring out the window as Vida drives.

"Hey, watch out! You almost hit that guy!"

"Babe, I got this. What's wrong with you? Why you so jumpy?" Vida asks.

"I'm not jumpy. The guy was crossing the street and you barely stopped. Are you high or something?" Charlotte is clearly upset and they both know it is not just about the guy crossing the street.

"I'm not high. What the fuck? You been acting quiet and irritated since this morning. I do something?"

"Everything's not about you, Vida. Besides, I'm not irritated. I'm a little bothered that I'm running late for work. I can't be late. I was late yesterday. Fucking Brian watching every move I make." Charlotte lights a cigarette and starts to smoke it as she rolls down the window and cuts the ac off.

"I prefer the ac. You know I hate it when you smoke in my car. And Brian? Brian is your boss now?" Vida gets on the 405 northbound headed to A Safe Place, a home for developmentally disabled adults in Culver City.

"No but he thinks he is. Since Rita quit we're the only two staff in the house so of course that means I'm doing all the work and he's doing all the directing." She blows another puff of smoke out the window then throws the cigarette outside.

"You gotta say something to your supervisor or something. Look at you. You all uptight. You can't work like this. You not even gonna be that late."

"V, late is late! Just drive ok? It's not you...it's just...It's not you. It's nothing. Let's just get there." Charlotte turns the radio up and closes her eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment