Thursday, July 25, 2019

Hands on

I black woman with my hands
I reach to the sun when I pray
I squeeze my body when I pray
My dreams come in color
I write everything down
I love to sing
I do not sing well

I walk like a black woman
You know how we walk
You know the way we stroll
Like the moon is under our feet
Look, Mama
Look at me moonwalk
Watch me get to the store and back in a dance

I make magic with these hands
Make rent happen
Make stories happen
Make love happen

My ancestors hold my hands
Massage my fingers and writs
I cook with these hands
Scramble eggs and bake biscuits
I write poems with these hands
Songs in the sand
Sonnets in the clouds
I am a miracle

These hands get messy with paint
With red and blue
Look at the green and yellow in my palms
Look at the lines in my palms
What do they tell you about me
About the way I love
About the way these hands hold

See how I black woman
See how I assemble a world
A meal
A baby
A movement


No comments:

Post a Comment