Friday, July 26, 2019

The escape

He insisted I was cheating on him with everyone
Said I smiled too long at the gas man when I let him inside
Said why did I have to let him inside anyway
Said nothing when the gas bill was due

Held me
Tight
Close
Too close for comfort
Asked why we never talk about money
Like there was money enough to talk about
Said he'd be back later

Then later

Then there were too many laters
Then pupils dilated too many times
Then weight dropped
Cheeks sunk in
Then money missing from my purse

More accusations
More who was that on the phone
More it don't take that long to go to the mall
More
More

Then my car came up missing
Then he finally called
Then I lied and said I reported it stolen

Then the abortion
Threats
The conversation
The yelling
The kick out

The crack
The dealer
The neighbor he stole from
More threats

Then fear
Then worry
Then the move

Then
Then

Then doubt
Depression
More fear

Then time
More time
New love
New day

Then my mind
Thats returns sometimes
To then


No comments:

Post a Comment