Wednesday, September 25, 2019

A poem for Jewel

Soon come maybe I will bounce you on my thighs
While your mommy is up singing a song
While your daddy takes the pictures
I imagine you will giggle and cry and scream
Because that is what babies do
But I will still sit there
With you in my lap
Ain't nobody in a poetry room
Scared of a baby's cry
Your mommy will glance and wink
And keep singing

Line after line
About your smile
About the way you keep her up at night
About the way she cannot stop staring
Into your eyes
At your little feet
That belly button
That neck
Those ears
Those soon to be teeth

I hope I get to hold you
I hope I get to tell you a story
Tell you some truth too
Paint you a picture
Write you a poem
I hope I get to hear about your dreams
The scary ones and the ones that bring you peace

I wonder where you were before
I wonder what you have come to do
To change
To say
To create
I wonder what you will sound like
Wonder what your first words will be
What songs you will sing
Your favorite foods to eat

We are all wondering
All hoping
All waiting
To see what light
Your spirit
Will bring





No comments:

Post a Comment