Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Zimmerman. Angry. Demons.

I remember when Zimmerman was found not guilty in the murder of Trayvon. I was so angry. So angry. I wanted to do something and all I felt I had was poetry. That is my revolution. I wanted to fight with that. It wasn't just Trayvon and his precious face and precious life. It was all the Trayvons. Back to back. I wanted to stand on the steps at City Hall and scream my poertry and raise my fists and show them just how crazy black women could get. How out of our minds we already were. Are. Will be.

These are the demons there are to fight. All the boys and girls with their cut short lives screaming at me, at you too. Telling me that poetry is not enough. That nothing that we do is enough enough. And on some days I just have to remind myself that we have to keep on. Fighting how we fight. Loving how we love. Because love is important too. Yes love is revolution too.

So what now? What about the voices? The screaming babies in my head. Well I'm gonna keep fighting. I'm gonna keep writing. I'm gonna keep loving. I'm gonna keep living. I hope you keep living too. We have so much work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment